Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
ACS Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do Americans need a visa to enter Moldova? 

No, if you have a U.S. passport, you do not need a visa to enter Moldova. You can stay up to 90 days before you need a residence permit. Find more information on

2. How can I let the U.S. Embassy know I'm in Moldova? 

Sign up for the Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), at, so we can send you announcements and contact you in case of an emergency. If you are in a hurry and don't want to create a username/password, you can just subscribe to our email list by clicking on "Email Subscriptions".

3. I would like to stay more than 90 days in Moldova. How can I extend my stay?  

You must apply for a residence permit at the Bureau of Migration and Asylum, 124 Stefan cel Mare Street, Chisinau. Do this well before your 90 days stay expires. You will need to provide a "criminal record certificate," but local authorities will accept an affidavit issued by the US Embassy. To obtain one, schedule an appointment at Please bring your US passport for identification purposes. The fee is $50. Find more information here:

4. Can I travel to Transnistria?  

There are no restrictions on travel, but if you get into trouble there, we have very little access and may not be able to assist you.

5. How long can I stay in Transnistria? 

If you stay more than three days, you need to register with the police. Your host or your hotel should be able to help you with this.

6. What if I enter Moldova through the Ukrainian border and travel through Transnistria? 

You can enter Moldova through the separatist region of Transnistria, but central government authorities do not register you at the border, like they do when you arrive at the airport or at a land border controlled by Moldovan authorities. If you enter through Transnistria, you must register within three business days of your arrival with the territorial offices in Varnita or Anenii Noi, or, with the Ministry of Information Development (MID) registration office located in Chisinau on 42, Puskin Street. Please find more information here:  

7. I am traveling with my pet. What are the regulations for bringing pets into Moldova?

For information from Air Moldova go to

8. What documents do I need to get married in Moldova?

All information about marriage in Moldova can be found on our website,, and on the Moldovan government website,

9. How can I obtain a US birth certificate or death certificate?

Find information about vital records go to

10. How can I get an apostille on my US document?

The U.S. Embassy cannot provide apostille services. An apostille certificate can only be issued by a "competent U.S. authority." Each state has a competent authority, usually the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the document was issued. To find the authority for your Wyoming document for example, search for "apostille Wyoming," and look for the official state site in the results. Find additional information and a list of competent authorities on

11. How can I get the document required by the Registry office stating I am free to marry?

You can make this affidavit at the US Embassy during American Citizens Services hours. For more information go to

12. How can I get the document requested by the Bureau of Migration and Asylum that shows I don't have any outstanding warrants internationally or in the US?

You can make this affidavit at the US Embassy during American Citizens Services hours. For more information, go to

13. How do I pay the consular fees?

Consular fees can be paid in dollars or Moldovan lei, or by using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diner’s Club or Discover. The Consular Section does not accept checks or money orders. Non-immigrant visa fees must be paid at Moldagroindbank, not at the U.S. Embassy.

14. How do I help a Moldovan friend or relative apply for a U.S. visa?

Non-immigrant visa applicants must qualify for a visa based on their own ties to a place of residence outside of the United States. While an invitation may be helpful, friends and relatives in the United States cannot "guarantee" that visa applicants will meet the requirements. Find more information on visa requirements here:

15. I need to notarize a document which will be used in the US. Where do I go?

You can have your documents notarized at the US Embassy during American Citizens Services hours. For more information, go to

16. How do I apply for a U.S. passport?

Information about passports can be found here:

17. I lost my passport, and I need to travel home.  What do I do now?

 Find more information about lost or stolen passports here:  

18. How can I register my child born abroad as a US citizen?

Information about applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a U.S. passport for your child can be found here:  

19. When is the U.S. Embassy in Moldova closed for holidays?

Please find our holiday schedule on

20. Can the US Embassy help me start a business in Moldova?

Please find information about opening a new business on

21. How can I find a doctor in Moldova?

Please find a list of doctors and clinics on

22. Does the US Embassy provide legal assistance?

The US Embassy does not provide any legal assistance, and we cannot serve as your lawyer. Please find a list of lawyers on

23. What can the U.S. Embassy do if an American is arrested in Moldova?

We will contact Moldovan authorities to check on the person's condition. We can provide information on legal procedures in Moldova, and a list of attorneys. However, the US Embassy does not provide any legal assistance, and we cannot serve as a lawyer. The U.S. Embassy also cannot get anyone released, since anyone in Moldova is subject to Moldova’s laws. However, we can arrange communications with family and friends in the United States.

24. What can the U.S. Embassy do if an American dies in Moldova? 

Please follow

25. Where can I find information on voting by absentee ballot?

Please find voting information on

26. Can the U.S. Embassy help me complete and file my taxes?

No, the U.S. Embassy is not permitted to give tax advice. You should contact an accountant, a tax attorney, or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for assistance with your taxes. There are also many online tax filing programs and services. Tax forms, publications, and guidance are available at

27. I am an American living in Moldova. Do I need to file U.S. taxes?

Maybe. Check IRS Publication 17 (Tax Guide for Individuals) and Publication 54 (Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad). Tax forms, publications, and guidance are available at

28. I've been corresponding with my fiancée in Moldova but we haven't met. How can I tell if she is real, or if this might be a scam?

Be careful of internet dating scams, especially if your fiancée has asked for money, please check Unfortunately, these scams are common in Moldova. Be very careful before sending money.

29. I am an American citizen living in Moldova. Can I work at the embassy?

All our job vacancies are published on our website at

30. I want to participate in Embassy events.

You can enroll with the Embassy at and we will send you messages for American citizens residing in Moldova. Some of those messages will be about events organized by the Embassy.

31. How can I find more information about adopting a child from Moldova?

See this Department of State page on adoptions in Moldova,, and this Moldovan government page,